Pages

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Aloha Wear
I made these four sleeveless shirts three days before our last trip to Kauii last September.  These tops are a much needed fashion item when on the islands! The fabric is a rayon/cotton blend and are wrinkle free! The blue shirt was a purchased sundress I wore on our last trip to the islands and decided to repurpose it and make it into a shirt instead !  


These are Hawaiian quilted totes.  I took a quick class from Poakalani in Hawaiian quiltiing at the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center on one of my trips there. It was a challenge to learn this method of quilting, it makes one appreciate the labor of love that went into all those beautiful Hawaiian quilts that are on display in the hotels and museums.  If you go today to Oahu and want to take a class Poakalani has moved their classes to the Iolani Palace Archives building every Saturday 9:30am -  12:00pm.

2 comments:

  1. I love how you turned the dress into a top. Too cool!

    I have NO patience for Hawaiian Quilting, but I do know the time and labor involved. I sent my Grandma a Hawaiian Quilted pillow kit, and she was thrilled to make it for me. In fact, she enjoyed it so much that for Christmas, she made me a large Hawaiian Quilt wall hanging of her original designs. I will cherish both pieces forever!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the bright colors in the tops! The totes are gorgeous! I didn't know there was such a thing as Hawaiian quilting. I'll have to look it up now!

    ReplyDelete