Pages

Monday, April 26, 2010

Salsa Skirts

I seen this pattern on the McCalls website and thought how cute this would be for my three granddaughters! I just had to make these skirts for them.  After reading the pattern guide and adding up the yardages required I had second thoughts since I knew this was going to cost me a pretty bundle for the three skirts.  Then I threw caution to the wind and ventured out to find the nine co-ordinating fabrics. My first stop was at Walmart and I don't usually shop for fabrics at Walmart but as luck would have it , while passing by the spring fabrics that was just put on display I found a section of color co-cordinated childrens fabrics!  I was in shock that I actually found all of the colors needed to make these cute little skirts and the best part the fabric was only 1.99 yard!  
I bought eight 1/2 yard pieces of each of the fabrics I wanted for the strips and 3/4 yard for the upper tier for three skirts. I then looked in my stash for jumbo rick-rack and found I had enough red and green for the bottom tiers but had to buy another eight packages of blues, yellows and orange. The cutting went quickly using the rotary cutter and mat method. I sewed the 1/2 yard strips together then cut each 1/2 yard into 2.5" strips then stacked and sewed the strips end to end. After ruffling and sewing the tiers together I finished the seams with the serger and sewed the rick rack on. These skirts came out so cute! You can see two of the girls have them on and they fit perfectly!   

2 comments:

  1. How FUN these skirts are!!! And your Granddaughters look adorable in them!

    What a great find at Wal-mart, the fabric is perfect. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lisa! I must compliment you on your recent post too! I love your newest knife painting!

    ReplyDelete